How do you finance your trip? You must be rich !
I was tired of living in Paris. I thought that city missed the social interaction. I knew on the long term, I wouldn’t want to stay living there. So I sold everything I had to go travelling and hoped I would find a better place to settle down. Especially the selling of my apartment allows me to travel for a while. Currently, I’m still working for a few businesses who were clients of my company that I closed. But travelling is not as expensive as one might think, especially when there’s no monthly bills to pay (rent, electricity, phone, internet…). For example, in South East Asia, it’s possible to find a hotel for $10/day, eat for $5/day. And all that in very decent conditions (hotel with air-con, internet, cable tv). That makes $450/month. A bus ticket Thailand->Cambodia cost $6. So it’s even cheaper than living in a big city like Paris.
Usually, people spend between $15 000 to $20 000 a year on an around the world trip. It also depends which countries are visited. South East Asia is surely more affordable than Australia, Europe or the USA.
What gears do you use for your videos?
I believe one needs good hardware to do good work. And I’m a geek. So I’m travelling with:
- a Canon 5D Mark II DSLR and several lenses from wide angle to telezoom (16-35mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4, 70-200mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8)
- a steadicam merlin very useful for travelling shots
- 2 onboard Gopro cameras
- a Canon S90 with waterproof case
- an onboard light and underwater torch
- several microphones ranging from shotgun to wireless ones
- a tripod
- a Sony VAIO VPCZ1 laptop optimized for High Definition editing
On a few videos, I used a semi professional Sony PMW EX-1 camera but I hate Sony for refusing to fix it when the LCD backlight broke while the camera was still under warranty.
See this post in / Voir cet article en: French